Mesalia Forums

Full Version: A Question for Writers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've come to know that I quite like writing, and reading. I see awesome webserials like Worm as an example and it makes me wish I could do...THAT. Or something like that. The problem is, I don't know how. Sources say that you should just "Do" things. Do it for fun! On your free time! But the problem with that is I don't know how. I get an idea in my head and decide the idea is trash (and it probably is). I try to write something off the cuff and I quit part way through deciding it's not going anywhere or it's not turning out the way I wanted to. I could have an idea but I have no idea how to put that idea into motion, peice it together, make a world around it or characters or anything. I don't know what's best to tackle first and I don't know anything.

I know I can write but the writing I've done is not the kind I'm talking about. Not just Character sheets or anything like that, but more like a story on my own or of my own that is under my full control. I don't know whether to establish the world's rules an dsetting first, or the characters, or the plot, or what color the sky is? And I'm not confident in my ability to do any of those things, let alone tie it all together, plus anything and everything else that writing a story (short, series, novel, web serial, fecking anything at all) really entails, even if I used to do it a lot as a kid and roleplay a metric ton more than seems healthy. . .

So, tips, tricks, full length tutorials? Anyone?

Also, hi. Been a while!
Well, first off it's unlikely same technique works for everyone. As much as we're all born exactly the same. We're just not. But I know of a few techniques that frequently are mentioned:

Write down everything
Those ideas you speak of? Write them down, save them for later. Anything and everything. You'd be surprised what you'll use and what you'll discard in the end. Don't throw it away, you never know when you'll have use for it. Never be afraid to alter and/or add to ideas.

The silver thread
Your story should have one. Pretty much all written work should have one. Try to identify it but don't be afraid to alter. When lost, remind yourself of it.

Feedback
People around you give the best feedback. Dare to share.

Read. A lot.
Very often just sitting your arse down and starting to write isn't the only work you need to do. Reading others' work can give tips, ideas and inspiration. And can enhance your language. Furthermore, many authors do a lot of research. An example is us as server wanting a little research on for example smithing for some realism... For one character. Now imagine doing that for every character and profession, disease, material, real life location... Etc. It's no good going "pah, I'm gonna write 110% fantasy anyway, who needs research?!?" cause at some point your readers are likely to just call BS on you.

Check tumblr
Weird title... There's at least one good blog on tumblr with good advices. I can't name it off my head, long ago Azmythera recommended it and the Mesalia blog follows it.

Where to start...?
Yep, this is the hard bit. I've myself managed to start several times and just gone "gah, no". I'm no expert at all on this, but judging by my own reading... You want to get the reader hooked. And, this is an actual tip I've read, you don't have to paint the whole world into the first 5 pages. Slip it in over time, let it grow for the reader. Some start at the end, some at the beginning... And work from there. Maybe you have the ending and goal set? Well, then start there I guess. Maybe you got the problem for the coming conflict already? Start there, find a way to work up to it. Just remember... Start, problem presentation, conflict, solution of problem.

Watch out for no-no's and traps
Yes, it might be super fun to write about a badass 13 year old in a black cloak with a massive sword and pink eyes and hair chopping down enemies by the hundreds, while making no effort. But it's not going to be very fun to read about... Leave that nonsense for the anime creators. Etc.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head for you.
Same boat. Sadly writing is a hugely complicated sort of thing and story telling isn't something that comes to everyone. It can be possible to start with a simple idea for a town or character or a narrative that you want to tell and build from there but even so everyone writes differently so there isn't any golden nugget to help. But I can offer some resources I found to be insighful.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WOv1g
This is a quick easy post with colorful pictures that helps illustrate some things that make a blah story into a great one.

http://fixyourwritinghabits.tumblr.com/
This is an excellent blog full of juicy writing tips to help break bad habbits and encurage new ones.

http://to-write-my-book.tumblr.com/
Another good blog that will give some insight into the writing process for larger more ambitious projects.
Thanks!
Here, finaly found someone posting this again on imgur!

Link: 22 rules to storytelling