Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New setting discussion
I was about to take this in the lore site discussion thread but realize it's a bit off topic.

I'd like to know if there's anything else people feel they want to have for our next setting. I mentioned that ideas are welcome, but I figure a new thread may kick things off for a little bit if I give examples of what we've had before. Be it you've noticed or not.

Auria started small intentionally. It was to stimulate RP, especially for those builder characters we got and also for people to have a chance to RP that they want a home, etc. It also gave a greater control of how the town turned out to look. This was in combination with the build rules getting an update because same principle worked poorly for the previous map (Nympha) and permissions on where to build had turned bit of a must...

Furthermore Auria had a small staff effort for a vague plot that anyone was free to take part of. The few first plot device characters were made.

Staff's experience with Auria remains a positive one, but it had for some time suffered the problem with lack of builder-characters at the very end. Next map needed more work before launch even if we didn't want to try anything different.

All in all, Auria was a cozy little town that grew large. Way larger than expected, one of the greater flaws of it was the limited space.

Ravenna was an effort without comparison from the staff's side. And while it sure stimulated some RP, the town itself carried too many flaws and most the encouragement to drag players into the plot and adventures at hand fell flat. The Celestine plot that was kinda cool never got far.

I'm sorry to say it, but it's most of the staff's experience that the effort put in for players to engage in RP didn't pay off well. A project as large as Ravenna we're thus gonna tell you is unlikely to happen. Had it been more appreciated, sure, but as it stands now this is not a route we're willing to take again. Too much blood, sweat and tears put in and too little reward.

Alroc you can call the beautiful break. A smaller plot was placed on the map and was unfolded after a while. The problem with builds may have appeared a problem, but the requests for housing were less than expected. It's such a lovely map with nice lore sites, it's a shame it went the way it did. Staff left it almost entirely up to players themselves to use their imagination to create their adventures and let there be few catalysts from our side.

Now that I've given a few examples maybe someone would have an opinion? The staff's way too busy nowadays to be able to give you anything that has as much effort put into it as Ravenna had, I can say 'no' to that at once. We /have/ to give regulars the statement "don't expect staff to always see to RP served on a silver plate, put some effort in of your own" cause we're all busy bees, not just I. But as long as you have neat ideas or wishes that work, or perhaps eventually event ideas (though more easily given with the map released)...

An idea earlier mentioned by Fae sometime ages ago was to hold a more regular event. Say, something annual (which would mean once every second IRL month).
I think that a lot of people perhaps forget that stimulating rp falls on everyone. You can't stand around the middle of town every day and wait for things to happen. We have a rich lore full of wonders, mystery and fantasy. But i think people either forget or don't know that generating rp on their own is the best way to get involved.

If we simply wanted to react to a situation presented to us without help creating it or impact we would just play Skyrim. The ability to create your own story is why we RP instead. It's a big part of rp to find things in your characters line of work or hobbies that lead to getting others involved. Maybe it's a bad habit or a vice, maybe harmless exploration leading to something different and new.

We want to know what kinda of things you maybe considered a good story line but didn't know if you could or just how to go about executing it. May be there's things you've seen on other servers you think could work her or something we have done in the past that greatly interested you. Minecraft, Mesalia and the rp are all here to encurage that creativity so we can all do something fun and engadging.