Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Percival
#1
I know it's horribly outdated. I'll fix it eventually.

[center]I was sitting in this tavern earlier, on the floor in a corner, the night before I got here, and I don’t remember much. I was drinking some sort of… piss, of... of course, and I had my quill and my book, but I couldn’t write anything. I couldn’t, like the words had just… left. Made their descent into the abyss, or rather they just had fucked off out of existence, or… something. I was on the floor and this man stumbles in and he’s young, and by young I mean… you know, younger than I am and he’s off his head, and by that I mean he’s the… direct contrary opposite of a Lucin princess. He’s just… flailing around like a fish out of water, and he’s trying to find his feet, so he looks for the wall to lean on and he backs into my corner, but of course I’m sitting and he’s the bladdered direct contrary opposite of a Lucin princess, so he doesn’t see me. Initially, I thought he’d work out that I was you know, there, but then his arse was properly… properly in my face. So I say, “Excuse me,” because I’m too cordial to say anything else to a fucking arse in my fucking face, “but I don’t think you know I exist.”

…

He turns around, and his face is just… beet fucking red. I thought blood was just going to gush right out of his ears, but low and behold it doesn’t and he somehow manages to lug himself out and up the stairs to a new spot. And that’s… that’s the fucking end of me, that is.
It’s come to this.
[/center]

Currently: Staying behind at the fortress.

Percival
Male
28
Mesalian
Bookbinder, Writer

Appearance:
Overall, he’s unremarkable and plain. If you were passing Percival on the street, it’d take effort to notice him. However, there’s a gentle and warm quality to him; a softness, maybe a vulnerability, but somehow his masculinity doesn’t seem too compromised. His body and face are smooth and just average, accompanied by slight visible muscle in his limbs – but again, it’s unremarkable. He’s not chiselled at all. The veins in his arms jut out slightly. He has short ash brown hair that sits above his ears, with a thin fringe which is brushed over to the side messily. There's a small bald patch on the left of his head, where he cut off a chunk of hair that Ezri put in a hair wrap. He has a pair of deep brown eyes which are also generally unremarkable unless you’re staring directly at them, and pasty skin. His nose, and nasal bone creases are quite prominent and large – so are his ears, but more due to how his hair sits above them. His eyebrows are quite dark and thick, but narrow and not too bushy. He sports slight stubble. His hands are calloused, but smooth. He’s around 175 centimetres tall, and that’s 5 feet and 9 inches. Percival wears the worn out, humble all-blacks of a bookbinder: a long-sleeved tunic, some trousers and a pair of long black boots. He also has a belt around his upper waist, with a flask and a sheath for a bookbinder’s knife. He smells like ink, glue, and blood.

Personality: [Needs updating.]
Percival is an observer of humanity, as opposed to being a server of humanity. He’s the fly on the wall, and he’s quite content with it. This is because he enjoys his ability to see artistic value in everything, including people and humanity, which he sees as “tragically beautiful”. This is what keeps him from complete misanthropy, as he likes both the good and bad of humanity. Generally, he enjoys complexity. Of course, this also makes him quite prone to over thinking and finding obscure meanings that are a stretch from the truth, or don’t actually exist. He’s a sensitive person, and somewhat naive, but not to the point where he doesn’t see bad things happening – he can see bad things and can even feel affected, but also appreciates their beauty, as if someone were to make a work of art. For example, Percival would see tragic but meaningful beauty in people ignoring a homeless man on the street. However, due to the loss of his family, Percival’s lost his passion for things, mostly keeping them to himself in order to avoid conflict.

Percival is mostly like that on the inside and it’s very rare to see that side of him unless you happen to read something he’s written, or you hear him talking to himself (see the monologue backstory). When he’s talked to, he’s quiet and even seems to have low self-esteem. You’re most likely to find him stuttering and blabbering on, and to know when you’re close to Percival when he doesn’t stutter around you like a blithering idiot. He’s nervous around people, because he’s afraid of conflict and deeply offending people like he did to his wife. Because of this, he sees socialisation as a minefield. This avoidance of conflict is Percival’s major flaw; he’s often an anxious, passive doormat, but the upside to this (as his wife said) is that he’s gentle, or a kind and forgiving person. That being said, he’s likely to also be a person who would ignore a homeless man, but this would be a conscious effort as Percival would be doing it more out fear of conflict. As stated in the beginning, Percival is an observer of humanity, but he has no real interest in serving it.

He’s got a natural soft spot for kids, though he finds them painful as they’re a reminder of his own loss. What he particularly likes about children is of course their occasional insightfulness and how they’re an “entirely different aspect of humanity”. Occasionally, he will adopt a particular trait he admires in someone, and this is sometimes a conscious decision, but also can be subconscious. For example, he has adopted his daughter’s habit of talking to himself both consciously and subconsciously. In a way, this is some strange method of self-improvement for him. Despite his sensitive nature, he has a “complete inability to cry” due to the trauma of his prior loss. Percival’s an awkward mix between being comfortable with himself as a complex and flawed human, and absolutely hating himself. “I am a man crippled by regrets.”

He dislikes marigolds, peaches, jacaranda flowers, blood, the roar of a crowd, running, faith, the words “fuzzy caterpillars”, being called "Percykins" and loose bristles from his brushes when he is gluing stuff. He likes talking to himself, using quotes, the smell of glue, new brushes, the usefulness of a bookbinder’s knife, waxed thread, ink stains, the word "splendour" and dancing (though he won’t admit it). He doesn’t really have specific favourite things, because he over thinks his decisions. He’s an ISFP.

Physicality:
- Walks with a slight slouch, lead by his head
- Eyes wide, head shaking slightly as when upset
- Unfit; puffed very easily
- Talks with his hands when confident
- Directionless pacing and shifting on the spot when nervous
- Drags hands down his face to relieve tension
- Tries to make himself as small as possible
- Left handed

Vocal Details:
Percival's voice is honestly quite important, because I find without it his character can appear less gentle than he is. For example, when I read what I've written for him aloud it carries a different sort of person and it definitely doesn't have the quiet vulnerability I imagine. His voice isn't particularly masculine, but it's not particularly feminine as you can still tell it's a male voice. It's soft and airy, but not necessarily quiet like Snow's. This softness is created by Percival's breathing when he talks; he breathes shallowly when he speaks, so his speech is formed in his front of his mouth. Percival also tends to blab on without stopping for breaths, particularly when nervous, so it's also like he's talking as he exhales, trying to finish his sentence before running out of breath. This also means he speaks at a brisk pace. His vocal pacing also tends to become faster when he's feeling any intense emotion - anger, happiness, sadness, fear, etc.

Because of this, Percival struggles to contain or hide his feelings about things, which in a way reflects his vulnerability. He has however become good at stopping himself from crying, however the result of this is that he often sounds like he's almost on the verge of tears at any given moment. There is also his drastic transformation around people, AKA his stutter which is the result of his typical 'freezing up' reaction to stressful situations, and the fact that he finds socialising a stressful situation. As I've stated before, when Percival is comfortable with someone, he will not stutter. As implied by the words he uses, Percival has a light Irish accent and it's certainly not stereotypical.

Theme Song:
Makkon - Hallowed Waltz

Skills and Strengths:
- Advanced book binding
- Advanced literacy and creative writing
- Moderate farming
- Moderate gardening
- Moderate childcare
- Basic numeracy
- Basic cooking
- Intelligent
- Kind

Weaknesses:
- Passive
- Lacks confidence
- No real ability to defend himself
- Fears conflict, and by extension, socialising
- Over thinks
- Hangs onto regret
- Cowardly
- Unintentionally self-absorbed
- Lacks athleticism
- Not good with emergencies

Goals:
- Move on
- Start "doing okay" again
- Try to "participate in life"
- Rejoin with the group later

Percival Talks to Himself
One
Two
Three

Relationships:
[Image: a88823d4-5335-49cc-91b4-f8c511e214f8_zps...1409225114]
#2
[center]Percival Talks to Himself
One
[/center]

It’s a surprising place, really, and of course I say that because I’m fucking surprised when I’m reading a story and the hero saves the damsel and not only that, but they also get married…

What was surprising initially was just… the size of the place, you know? I mean I know people have been living on the Forbidden Lands for as long as I’ve been… well, as long as I’ve been living, but is it a terrible thing to say that I thought… it wouldn’t have been this... civilised? It’s not Southsage, and that’s not to discount it either, but it’s not… definitely not where I was born which is...
It is, in point of fact… fairly large, but not large enough for everyone to not see me and I think that’s the most surprising thing; it’s that I’m not invisible. Almost every fucking person I’ve seen has fucking seen me, and there’s something about that that’s… surprising. It’s arse about face. I think it's either small enough here for them to notice new faces, or there’s never really any new faces so they’re astonished to see them, and if I faff around enough about the place I’ll just eventually… be a shadow. A glass man.

…

I think Jac would have liked it here. I came across this tree earlier, and it was the easily the most enormous tree I’ve ever seen and it was… this will sound stupid, but something about it was telling and beautiful and I think she would’ve liked it, but as I went closer I saw that someone had been there, and there was rubble and someone had dug a hole at its roots. There’s not a solitary place in town where I can talk to myself, and there’s not even one in the fucking jungle. Every fucking direction I turn I locate someone else’s home, or hiding hole, or campsite, or fucking mansion like the complete melancholy, and the meaninglessness, and the vacuous fucking shitness of their lives is so… ubiquitous that their own space away from every-fucking-one else’s acts as some sort of solace.

…

That’s my irony for the day, and what’s more is...
I think I’m lost in this jungle.

...

Sodding nether.
[Image: a88823d4-5335-49cc-91b4-f8c511e214f8_zps...1409225114]
#3
[center]Percival Talks to Himself
Two
[/center]

Aside from remembering what it’s like to you know… hold her, what I miss the most is surprisingly the routine, which in reality isn’t so surprising when I think about it because it’s like that normally. We get used to every-bloody-thing, such as wives going to the market and making breakfast with that cheese which is a probable close relative to paper externally, but is surprisingly more internally akin to butter…
I mean, when I wake up now… sweet fuck all to do apart from dither about town. It’s fundamentally a perpetual succession where I’m skint because I can’t bookbind, and I can’t bookbind because I’m skint and can’t afford fucking… tools, or materials.

…

I got out of the jungle… you know, eventually, when I thought I was going to become dusk supper. I, by some means managed to find the mining camp and had to swim across this lake to get there. Sometimes you don’t really fathom out how deep the water is until you get in. When you’re looking at it, you see that it’s deep, but when you’re in…

…

I met this woman named… Fuck, I’ve forg- Marty, well her name’s Margretha but she tells me to call her Marty, so of course I do. What I notice about her is that she has these… complicated little patterns tattooed into her skin, and you can just see them when she moves her head a little to the side. Reminds me of my father, who had a few on his arms, and that’s when I sort of suss out that she’s… fairly old. She says she’ll carve some stone tools for me if I bind her a book, so she’s saving my arse of course, because unsurprisingly I’m fucking useless. Every-fucking-one’s always saving my fucking arse.

When you’re in the water, it’s as terrifying as anything I’ve ever seen. You go back up to the surface of course, and the idea that you actually ever thought the water wasn’t that deep seems… asinine. It’s a tad embarrassing, frankly.
How did I think I could just wade my way through it?

…

There’s an election for mayor happening at present in town, and initially I thought that would get me into shit, but it feels like… no one really cares, or they’re not going on about it because I’m a new face. I’m not whinging, but what actually got me in strife was, in actual fact, a fucking egg.
It was… a bit dodgy and I don’t want to be too cruel, but somehow it was concurrently burnt and raw, as well as slimy and gritty from eggshell. Something like dirt and blood, which was a bit…
And I tried to eat it, really I did, but it was… you know.
It was dog’s arse.

I keep thinking Captain Lapis will come after me, which is stupid but there was another man behind the bar – kind of a brewer – and he seemed to know her well… and he did not want to save my arse. So either he’s a bit of a wanker or she’s… no one could actually be that offended… yes?
Sod it. I’m not going to sleep tonight...

They wanted my story.

…
…
…

They wanted my story, and that’s the first thing I learnt about the people here. They have stories, and that’s why they’re here. I had no fucking idea what to say, so I just… got around it. What was I expected to say? Just… fuck.
I’m trying to fucking hold my self together. My skin, and the very… whatever’s left, but there’s a lurching in my stomach and there’s a fucking… hole...
There's a hole running right through my throat.
How did I think I could just come here and fucking be invisible?
[Image: a88823d4-5335-49cc-91b4-f8c511e214f8_zps...1409225114]
#4
[center]Percival Talks to Himself
Three
[/center]

It hurts because it mattered.
It mattered. That’s why it hurts.

…

She sang to her food whenever she was happy, to the fucking tune of Rhisian hymns of all the fucking things, which was Jac’s influence entirely. In actual fact, when I think about it, she sang to every-bloody-fucking-thing whenever she was happy. Hello trees, hello sun, hello smoked pigeon and... papa’s shitty oatcakes...
They were always lumpy with these clumps of flour because I mixed them like I mix glue, but notwithstanding that I think they were alright.
You know… as far as fucking oatcakes can go.

…

It’s nearly her birthday, in about a week, and I sort of haven’t left this… room.

They say grief is the language of idleness, and if they’re wrong then this is possibly another selfish act from yours truly, but I think that’s just… how it is. It’s… I can’t get out of bed because she mattered. They both mattered, so it’s not just loss. It’s regret.
When I was a child, my father…
The first thing I learnt about grief is that a grieving man shouldn’t pull out his hair. A few good years after the war of Veld and he still does it – or did it, who the fuck knows – as though somehow his baldness would make losing his war mates a better experience.

…

The longer I stay here, the more I regret and the worse it gets, but it’s like the hole’s running through my chest now and the last blooming thing I should do is work, which is a laughable idea because the only work I have is being the lap dog of Caius. The shit that happens when you try to… participate. In life.
The painful reality is that if I don’t want to starve, then I’ll have to go back and try again, and again, and again, and again… because from what I can tell by the tavern owner, and the politicians, and the pirate bartender who cooks dog’s arse eggs but mediocre steak…
I’m not fucking invisible here.

And I need to keep trying because if I’m not on the piss in a week...

…

Nothing has changed, but everything’s different.
If I know anything about life, it’s that it goes on.
[Image: a88823d4-5335-49cc-91b4-f8c511e214f8_zps...1409225114]
  


Forum Jump:

Percival00