Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Lore Proposal - WIP] The Assevman Empire
Just reserving this thread for future expansion. Take this wonderful mspaint map in the meantime.

[Image: TUiQ6Pk.png]

GEOGRAPHY:

The Assevman Empire is largely located on the Assev Peninsula between the Nar Sea and Jev Sea. However, relatively recently acquired lands to the north have expanded the hegemony into more “Western” areas with a more Medieval European feel.

The Assev Peninsula consist of two distinct parts: the Eilbar Desert and the areas north of it. The Eilbar has isolated the lands north of it from the rest of the continent to the south, resulting in the culture in the habitable north of the the Assev Peninsula to branch off from the rest of the world.

In the north, the Assev Peninsula is a fertile land dotted with deciduous forests and rolling hills which evolve into small mountains in some places. In the border lands between the desert and the north, the climate is semiarid, so flora and fauna are sparser and hardier. As one goes further south, the ecosystem devolves into a harsh desert which has claimed the lives of many. However, there are oases and Xitian communities left over from the Purge are not uncommon.

HISTORY:

The lands of the Assev Peninsula were first settled several thousand years ago by nomadic peoples from the continent to the south. As agriculture developed, people began to take advantage of the fertility of the lands, and soon civilizations developed in the southern peninsula. These early civilizations built many great cities and heavily over-farmed the land. Desertification took place over time, and farmers who had made the land their homes were pushed further and further north to find fertile land to farm on and pastures for their livestock to graze on. As they continued to be pushed north and the generations changed, fewer and fewer farmers were left until there was a stable number that the environment could support. So, the desertification slowed and people started to make more permanent settlements again.

These farmers had inadvertently become colonists in an untamed land, and they soon came into contact with the native peoples. The nomadic Assevman tribes that made the peninsula their home were a people constantly at war with each other. They were endlessly splintered, and easily fell under the influence of the more civilized colonists from across what was now the Elibar Desert. The colonists attempted to educate and convert the more placid tribes into what was common below the Elibar. They taught the Assevmans their language and introduced them to the common pantheon.

One tribe in particular, the Oqgurc, was extremely responsive to the colonists’ ideas and took the ideas as their own. They adopted Drymaterras as their patron god, but interpreted her more like Vulcaldestus. Though they originally kept the name Drymaterras, they fashioned the god as a male warlord similar to Vulcaldestus. Eventually, the god was renamed Kuctuun and he developed into a new entity.

Being so close with the colonists, the Oqgurc tribe learned to fashion metals into high-quality swords and make sophisticated recurve bows. However, the most notable thing they gained was the horse, an animal which had been absent from the peninsula before the colonists. The Oqgurc became masters of the horse, which was the key to their military success.

Armed with sophisticated weapons and mounts, the Oqgurc quickly subjugated the neighboring tribes, solidifying themselves as a major regional power. As they conquered, they converted their new subjects to their monotheistic worship of Kuctuun, a religion now called Kuctism. Those who refused to be converted were either made into slaves or killed. In this way, the upstart religion spread quickly. Foreigners converted out of fear for the Oqgurc, and the Oqgurc people used Kuctism as a uniting force for previously splintered tribes.

The great Oqgurc monarch Asebim was responsible for uniting the tribes. Asebim lead his armies far into the north, and integrated every inch of tribal land on the peninsula into the Oqgurc Empire. At the time of Asebim’s death, the empire he created could no longer accurately be described as the Oqgurc Empire. Asebim’s son, Ibrahim, proclaimed the Assevman Empire in his father’s name. The peninsula was named Assev, the people were named Assevmans, and Ibrahim took the title of Sultan.

During Ibrahim I’s reign, the empire flourished, and began to challenge the colonists who still held power to the south. The Assevmans mined the mountains in the north for metals, and came across a metal known in the rest of the world as Drymaterite. Though uncommon, there was more than enough to supply for the army’s needs. They used this metal to make weapons superior to those of the colonists, and the conquest of the south began.

For 10 years, the Assevmans carried out a brutal crusade on the colonists, conquering town after town. The colonists were forced to convert, though many refused and were killed. Eventually, when the fight was lost, the colonists retreated to a small area in the edge of the desert. Encircled by the enemy, the colonists proposed a peace deal. They would live in the currently occupied area as autonomous states, and would pay tribute to the Assevmans at the beginning of each month. And so, the peninsula was won and the Assevmans reigned supreme.

The years passed and the Assevmans continued to improve their armies and navies. The islands to the northwest were conquered, and the Empire soon came into conflict with states to the north. These states saw the Assevmans has heathens, and vice versa. Many wars would occur over the years, and a strong hatred brewed between the Assevmans and their neighbors. This influenced many of the practices still in use today, such as the capture of young Docean boys to be converted and raised as soldiers. The Gossians reclaimed some of the islands to the Assevmans’ northwest, the Assevmans took the cities of Sebwi, Gibhoel, and Tebnacts, and the international borders were set for a time.

However, the balance was thrown off when the Xitians invaded. The Xitians first invaded the Gossians, Doceans, and the Neicht Confederation, so the Assevmans saw the Xitians as friends. They attempted to pen an alliance, which the Xitians agreed to even though they wished to conquer the Assevmans next. The Assevmans were able to push further and further north into the Confederation’s lands, until they reached present day’s extent. However, before the Xitians were ready to fight the Assevmans, the Lucins broke into the Middle Realm and the Veld War began. Most of the fighting happened north of the Empire, so it appeared that Xitian forces were simply retreating. During this time, the Assevmans solidified their northern border and found that the mountains contained even more Drymaterite.

As the Xitians retreated and the Lucins followed, the Assevmans signed an uneasy peace with their northern neighbors. During the Purge, many Xitians fled to the Assevman Empire because of the alliance they had shared before the Veld War. Though more lenient towards the Xitians than other states, the Assevmans still demanded that the Xitians leave the Empires lands and move further into the Elibar Desert. This is why there are many Xitian settlements there to this day.

During the Civil Wars, the Assevmans remained largely uninvolved as the northern states waged war against each other. Occasionally they would swoop in opportunistically to take some valuable land, but no major conflict occurred within the Empire. With the normal opponents tied up in wars against each other, this was actually one of the most peaceful times in recent memory for the Assevmans.

Today, the Assevmans have established themselves as the most powerful force in the region. They are truly threatened only on the rare occasion that the northern states are able to put aside their differences and unite. They are a rich nation, controlling much of the Drymaterite in the area and the Strait of Fyucswi, which all trade to the Empire of Docea must pass through. They’ve also grown rich off of traders south of the Elibar who regularly send camel caravans to trade

Updated with Basic history and geography. I'd like this looked over before I expand into culture and society.

Hi Spit!

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had a look over what you've done. I'm afraid without any cultural points of reference I can't really be comprehensive. So I will simply point out the largest items missing from the lore. Hopefully, the changes these require should help with the other issues but I can't provide more without the culture section.

The main lore states the entirety of the mainlands were invaded and enslaved by the Xitians and that resistance had died out before the gate to the Celestial realm re-opened. With the Xitians affinity for the area there is no reason they would bother negotiating. So please revise to include the invasion, enslavement, and more involvement on the war of Veld.

The primary lore also states that the entire mainlands were embroiled in the civil war. That also applies here. Even if the Xitian spies couldn't destabilize the empire internally that doesn't mean that external threats didn't come for their lands and holdings. Please include more relation to the civil wars.

And finally so far as I know no kingdom has established any sort of holdings in the forbidden lands. So there cannot be any colonization or claims made by this kingdom in the forbidden lands.

I'm sorry I really can't offer more insight until these issues are addressed. let me know if you have anymore questions.

Pinkie
Hey Pink thanks for the response,

Quote:The main lore states the entirety of the mainlands were invaded and enslaved by the Xitians and that resistance had died out before the gate to the Celestial realm re-opened. With the Xitians affinity for the area there is no reason they would bother negotiating. So please revise to include the invasion, enslavement, and more involvement on the war of Veld.

Would it not make sense for the Xitians to temporarily seek an alliance with the enemies of their current targets? I'd imagine it'd make the war effort a whole lot easier if they didn't have to fight the Assevmans alongside the Assevmans' enemies. I'll certainly change it if need be, but I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this.

Quote:The primary lore also states that the entire mainlands were embroiled in the civil war. That also applies here. Even if the Xitian spies couldn't destabilize the empire internally that doesn't mean that external threats didn't come for their lands and holdings. Please include more relation to the civil wars.

I'll add more conflict, but doesn't it make sense that the northern states (who are in much closer proximity to each other) would be wrapped up in their own wars while the Assevmans occasionally jump in and out to claim what they want? There's no one state in the region that could pose a threat to the existence of the Empire by itself at this point.

Quote:And finally so far as I know no kingdom has established any sort of holdings in the forbidden lands. So there cannot be any colonization or claims made by this kingdom in the forbidden lands.

Edited.

Spitfire333 Wrote:
Quote:The main lore states the entirety of the mainlands were invaded and enslaved by the Xitians and that resistance had died out before the gate to the Celestial realm re-opened. With the Xitians affinity for the area there is no reason they would bother negotiating. So please revise to include the invasion, enslavement, and more involvement on the war of Veld.

Would it not make sense for the Xitians to temporarily seek an alliance with the enemies of their current targets? I'd imagine it'd make the war effort a whole lot easier if they didn't have to fight the Assevmans alongside the Assevmans' enemies. I'll certainly change it if need be, but I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this.

The Xitians didn't need the help to take over the mainlands and the geography beside a desert means they would be even more powerful here. They simply wouldn't want or need the help.

Spitfire333 Wrote:
Quote:The primary lore also states that the entire mainlands were embroiled in the civil war. That also applies here. Even if the Xitian spies couldn't destabilize the empire internally that doesn't mean that external threats didn't come for their lands and holdings. Please include more relation to the civil wars.

I'll add more conflict, but doesn't it make sense that the northern states (who are in much closer proximity to each other) would be wrapped up in their own wars while the Assevmans occasionally jump in and out to claim what they want? There's no one state in the region that could pose a threat to the existence of the Empire...

But that then begs the question as to why the empire didn't take advantage of the squabbling and take more for themselves. And there is nothing stating a alliance couldn't be formed that posed a threat to the Empire. What it comes down to is that it's a considerable event in the lore and I would like more impact.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Lore Proposal - Trash] The Watchers LuckyLeaf 4 3,121 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Last Post: SentaiPink
  [Lore Proposal - WIP] The Yoaral Healers. cerberus23 5 4,244 26-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: cerberus23
  [Lore Proposal : Cult/Culture] The Reapers [WIP] Demotheus 5 3,826 26-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Last Post: MelancholyFae
  [Lore Proposal - WIP] The Four Cabals of the Pantheon Hutchy 0 1,753 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Hutchy
  [Lore Proposal - WIP] Bestiary of the Middle Realm Hutchy 1 1,946 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Hutchy